The Key to Raising Self-Awareness
The key to raising self-awareness is paying attention. That may seem anticlimactic, but remember that the simplest truths in life are often those we find hardest to accept. It sounds basic because it is, it’s fundamental.
To raise your self-awareness, you must develop a relationship with your inner self, and as with any healthy relationship, it involves time, hard work, and focused attention.
Talk to yourself and listen. How many times do you find yourself wondering
- What do I want?
- Who am I?
- What do I want to be when I grow up?”
It can be an extraordinarily revealing exercise. Try it! Write down the answers in a journal.
Tips for Increasing Self-Awareness
- Use a Journal. It can be especially helpful in the beginning stages of developing self-awareness.
- Stop putting yourself down. Instead of being self-critical, be compassionate.
- Consider your strengths and skills. Make a list of them.
- What is important to you? These are your core values. Write them down too!
- Assess the information. Use it to describe yourself.